[Samba] SMB Check Directory Request - every 5 sec

Wacek Jakacki kompnet at id.pl
Sat Aug 7 17:45:12 GMT 2004

Hi,
Playing with tethereal I've found by accident that Samba client connected to
a share on Windows initiates the following sequence of three frames every 5
seconds:
1)Samba client: SMB Check directory Request, Directory : \
2)Windows:SMB Check Directory Response
3)Samba Client : TCP ACK

I digged maillists and found nothing similar with one exception -
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22check+directory+request%22&hl=pl&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3DC6116C.4AF83E42%40student.anu.edu.au&rnum=1 -
2 years old...:-)

Now few details:
Client stems from Samba 3.0.2a - Debian version working on Woody -
2.4.18-bf2.4. The file serwer is working in a NT domain as a STAND ALONE
SERVER - no extra functions - only files distribution in user security mode.
Target system may be a W9x or NT - I didn't notice any difference.
I observe the frames only when client is connected to a share after a
command like:
``smbclient -U wacek //coco/share pass'' and ``prompt smb:/>'' is
dislaplyed.
The directory ``\'' in the first frame doesn't change as we wander deeper
into share....
So far Samba is fresh experimental installation but I'm affraid if it is not
an announcement of more serious problems.
Any hints (or questions) would be appreciated -wjakacki