[Samba] Connection refused, access denied (Windows XP trying to connect on samba's shared printer)

Kartik Chandra kmuktinu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 03:31:16 GMT 2004

Hi,
I am trying to connect to a linux printer from a windows XP machine. I
am getting the  following error message

Connection refused, access denied (Windows XP trying to connect on
samba's shared printer)

I am unable to print anything and I also tried changing the samba
server config file

by adding
use client driver

as suggested in the mailing list. But the printer application freezes
on doing this.
Can anyone please suggest something? I am logging in as one of the samba users
and I am also able to access shared folders.

I am including parts of  smb.conf below.

  printcap name = /etc/printcap
  load printers = yes

  printing = cups

[printers]
  comment = All Printers
  path = /var/spool/samba
  browseable = yes
#   use client driver = yes
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
  guest ok = yes
  writable = no
  printable = yes
  public=yes