[Samba] WinXP and Mac OS X Server PDC: long logout times

Jason Deraleau jldera at mac.com
Fri Aug 6 19:02:33 GMT 2004

Hello list,

I recently added a new workstation to my PDC and have been experiencing
some problems with roaming profiles. The PDC in question is Mac OS X
Server 10.3.4, which has Samba 3.0.2 on it. The machine has been
functioning without issue as a PDC and I have had no problems with my
Win2k clients.

While login times are quick, the XP SP1 machine takes a long, long time
to log out. Sometimes, it won't even finish logging out overnight and I
am forced to shutdown the machine (or kill the smbd process, resulting
in a network connection error on the XP box). The XP machine appears to
be attempting to right a .tmp file to the user's folder on the profiles
share.

I'm using folder redirection, so it's not an issue of a large amount of
data moving back and forth. At least, as far as I can tell. Especially
considering that a Win2k SP4 client can logout quickly and without
issue. I've played a bit with the "oplocks" setting on the profiles
share, to see if it might make a difference. No luck. I've also tried
changing the "profile acls" setting. This just caused the machine to
complain that it could not access the profile and ended up with a
default profile.

I've googled around quite a bit and haven't found anything useful thus
far. Has anyone else experienced such a problem? Anyone else have some
insight?

Thanks!

--
Jason Deraleau (jldera at mac.com)