[Samba] Re: Stopping smb error messages

Paul Farrow paul.farrow at farrowcomputing.com
Fri Aug 6 14:48:27 GMT 2004

I had been getting the exact same problem.  And looking at an old post,
they recommended that port 445 was shut off to the samba box this makes
samba / smb negotiate its connections through port 339.

I had my doubts but it seems to have worked for me.  I am using samba
3.0.5 under Fedora Core 2 on a mini-itx V800 talking to windows 2003
server (web edition).

The other problem I seemed to have was my smbmounts seemed to die after
a while, which I never got to the bottom of, but I just pass a little
file over my mounted filesystems and that keeps them running.  So not
sure if your problem is the one above or both, but it now works for me.
Samba used to die every night not (touch wood) its been running for over
3 weeks with out an error.

Hope that helps

Paul
http://www.farrowhosting.com