[Samba] Samba 3.0.5: Odd browsing / login issues

fire-eyes sgtphou at fire-eyes.dynup.net
Thu Aug 5 19:32:54 GMT 2004

Hello to all on the list, hope you're having a good day.

I'm using samba 3.0.5 on a gentoo linux system, kernel 2.6.7, vanilla
(unpatched).

I'm running in Securit = ADS mode, and it authenticates against a
windows 2000 DC. It has been for quite a while. But i've had an issue
that I would like to solve now, any help is appreciated.

When any windows system i've tried tries to browse \\machine , they're
immediately asked for a user name and password. If I enter a valid user
name and password, it immediately asks again, this time in the user name
box is MACHINE\username-i-tried . Entering a valid password, it fails
again. Replacing MACHINE with DC-CONTROLLER-NETBIOS-NAME , and the right
password, works every time.

I'd like to just be able to browse immediately. These users are already
authenticated by the DC so I don't understand why they're being asked
again, then the user name box filled in with the linux machines name and
not the domain's name.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Take care, gang.