[Samba] [[ Samba 3.0.5 + CUPS - Unable to open printcap ]]

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Thu Aug 5 19:09:16 GMT 2004

Hi everybody,

    A few days ago I sent a message to this list with a related
problem, now I have the problem "isolated". To reduce costs, we
are using OLD Pentium's 133MHZ (166 and 233) as print servers,
running CUPS.

    In some specific situations I have "legacy systems" running
on DOS, so I need to "map" LPT1 on client, SAMBA is the solution.
I'm using LDAP and a few version of Samba, two weeks ago I work
on a Print Server and "suddenly" the problem was solved, this
time I thought it will be easier but...

    What is the scenario?

        Pentium 133MHz 32MB, with LDAP (libnss) running Debian
        Woody 3.0r2 (XFS filesystem).

    What am I trying to do?

        Compile Samba-3.0.5 using CUPS-api and get it to work!

    What is the problem?

        The compile part is fine, I check the smbd using ldd
        and it is linked against libcups. But my printers
        doesn't appear, and log.smbd complain about printcap
        file.

    I already check the history and google all around but I
can't see where the problem is... I'm thinking of a version
problem with libcups in Woody, but don't know.

    In the last e-mail, I have some problems with permission
denied and this I solved using "use client driver". I really
want to know why smbd is not using cups-api to share printers.

    Sincerely,

// Felipe