[Samba] Samba + Terminal Server issue *SOLVED*

Alex Grönholm demigod at karico.fi
Thu Aug 5 17:59:30 GMT 2004

I am writing this here because I did not get a reply to my help requests
earlier and managed to solve this by myself.

I have a Win2003 server and a Linux box running Samba 3.0.5 as PDC. The
problem I had was that domain users could not log in through Terminal
Services. Local users could use TS just fine and even domain users could
  log in locally, but not through TS. In addition, there were some
strange anomalies in the profiles(I disabled roaming profiles on the
PDC); the domain part of some users was seen as PDC\user, not
DOMAIN\user as it should.
When domain users tried to log in through TS, they got the following
error message:

The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Please try again or consult your system administrator.

Solution:
After reformatting & reinstalling Win2003 the problem remained, so I was
able to eliminate the Win2003 box as the culprit. I then tried resetting
my passdb backend(tdbsam) and that's what did the trick. I had
previously converted my smbpasswd file to tdbsam using pdbedit(from
Samba v3.0.4). My theory is that the SIDs of those users referred to the
PDC box, not the domain, since Samba was not configured as a PDC at that
time.