[Samba] Issues using samba 3 with linux & IBM JFS case-insensitive FS?

Bradley Tate btate at objectmastery.com
Thu Aug 5 12:46:37 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm wondering what issues / problems I might run into if I'm using samba
3 on linux with the IBM JFS filesystem installed to be case-insensitive.
I've had no luck finding anyone who says they've tried it.

I'm having trouble with a group of Windows based developers programming
in Delphi (Pascal) and Foxpro who seem to have real problems keeping the
case of filenames consistent between development and production systems.
This is ok until some clever type unzips updates from a shell prompt in
Linux. Unfortunately I don't have the authority to kill them so I'm
looking for an alternative where this behaviour doesn't matter.

One minor issue with JFS is it's difficult to change the name of files
where only a change of case is wanted e.g. directly changing frood to
Frood doesn't work, and copying frood over Frood in another directory
works but the original name (Frood) remains.

Thanks,

Bradley.