[Samba] "New Driver" button greyed out on Windows Client Despite having sufficient rights

Donald Wong dwong at changind.com
Thu Aug 5 00:45:41 GMT 2004

I'm trying to add/connect to printers through samba, and tried to go
through the "Add Printer Wizard" by clicking "No" for the "Do you want
to install the driver now?" Prompt, but now the "New Driver" button
under "Advanced" tab is greyed out, and there's nothing to choose from
the printer driver list.

I googled and the only response that I've found so far are about
insufficient rights, so I checked that I'm within the printer admin
group but still not able to use the "New Driver" button.  I even try to
just list myself as the printer admin and still didn't work.  I also
have sufficient rights to access the print$ share.

Any inputs? Thanks

smb.conf:
[printers]
    comment = All printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes
    public = yes
    read only = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    printer admin = @admin

[print$]
    comment = Printer Driver Download Area
    path = /etc/samba/drivers
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    read only = yes
    write list = @admin, root

Software:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 AS, kernel 2.4.21-15.0.2.ELsmp
SAMBA 3.0.2 Release 6.3E
CUPS 1.1.17 Release 13.3.6

Printers:
HP LaserJet 2300dtn