[Samba] Transfer Problems when updated to version 3.0.5

L. Mark Stone LMStone at RNoME.com
Wed Aug 4 17:10:59 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 04 August 2004 12:20, Edward wrote:

> I'm having some issues writing large files to my samba share.
> After about 11Gb it fails ( for the past three transfer attempts).
> The Files are sized between 2Gb and 65gb respectively

We just went through something similar at one client's site.

What we found was that the Cisco switches there don't auto negotiate
effectively with the NICs on the Samba (and other) server(s) and
workstations.

Once we forced all the NICs on the network to 100FD, our problems went
away.  In other words, this wasn't a Samba problem at all.

On a Windows box, check the driver settings on the NIC to disable
autoneg and force whatever your network infrastructure will comfortably
support, usually 100FD.

If you have heavy network traffic, you can set the workstations to 10FD
and leave the servers at 100FD (or, leave the workstations at 100FD but
add more NICs to the servers).

On the Samba box, you'll need to use ethtool or mii-tool, depending on
your NIC, to make the changes. The man pages for these tools are pretty
clear as to their usage.

Hope this helps,
Mark

A Message From...   L. Mark Stone