[Samba] problem with valid users parameter

Kim Lars Jakobsen - PC Vision nanodead at nanodead.dk
Wed Aug 4 10:05:06 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I have a samba + ldap setup which works fine, but a have a problem with the
valid users parameter in my shares.
The problem is that I have a group which includes blanks (Domain Users)
samba does not seem to like blanks in group names.

If a try to do the following from my win2k box.
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net use * \\<IP>\common
/user:<Domain>\
<User> *
Type the password for \\<IP>\common:
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

In the logfiles for the machine there are trying to access the share i get
[2004/08/04 11:24:25, 3] smbd/error.c:error_packet(118)
 error packet at smbd/reply.c(389) cmd=117 (SMBtconX)
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

This is coursed by the valid users = +Domain Users

If I change the group name to DomainUsers (the same name, just without the
blank), and make the similar changes in my ldap tree, it all works as it
suppose to.

I have tried following:

valid users = +Domain Users
valid users = +"Domain Users"
valid users = +'Domain Users'

My question is now: is it possible to use blanks in group names, if so, how
do I quote / escape it?

Kind regards

Kim