[Samba] Confusing permission issues...

Evan Marcus evan at veritas.com
Tue Aug 3 21:45:20 GMT 2004

Trying to install samba 3.0.3 on my Linux server, to serve 4 PCs, all in
my house, serving my family.  Each of 4 users will have a home
directory, plus I'll have at least 2 read-only shares.

I have basic connectivity, but can't get some of the clients to behave
the way I want them to.

Specifically, I want to have full admin access for myself for all
directories.  Everyone else should be able to access their directories
without having to enter a password.  Access to the read-only shares
should also be achieved without entering passwords.

What I have is: one client (ironically, my laptop) that can access the
shares (all of them) without entering a password.  The other clients are
always required to enter a password, regardless of which user we access
them through.

I have rebuilt the smb.conf file several times, and it doesn't seem to
change anything.  Obviously it's an external issue.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you very much!

Evan L. Marcus

Data Availability Maven

Technical Product Management

VERITAS Software Corporation

380 Madison Avenue, 17th floor, New York, NY 10017

evan at veritas.com

Direct: 646/487-6023; Mobile: 201/674-6886; Skype: evan1t

AIM: evan1t, MSN Msgr: evan at veritas.com; Yahoo! IM: evanlmarcus, ICQ:
129283016

Why not check out the 2nd edition of  Blueprints for High Availability?
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471430269/ref=ed_oe_p/00
2-9398126-3236821?v=glance&s=books&st=*>

A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if
he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad. Theodore
Roosevelt (1858-1919)