[Samba] Windows XP slow trainsfers

Kelly Shutt tcatut at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 3 20:48:37 GMT 2004

So what is the status of the issues with Win2K/XP?  I've had ongoing
problems with my samba transfers for 3 years now, and still get
weirdness.  I've done days and days of troubleshoot at a time and can't
find the issue.  I'm pretty sure it's something with the way windows
schedules packets just being a pain.  One would think that you guys have
heard enough about this to try and figure it out.  Do you have any
suggestions?  I'm not expert, but I've been dealing with linux for
almost 6 years now so I'm not a newb either.  I have tried everything I
could find.... upgrading/downgrading everything, disabling various
services, different wins/dns configs, different network buffers, etc.
Results varied depending on what I was tweaking, but in my case the end
result is that I can get my download to windows to max out at about
800kbit and the upload at about 200kbit.  I realise that these aren't
horrible speeds, but they're still pretty lame considering that both
NICs are running at 100Mbit and I can FTP transfer at about 8Mbit on
average.

Please let me know what's up with this issue.  I am very happy with
samba and consider it one of the best services I've used, aside from
some difficulties which should be minor.  Any advise you could give me
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly Shutt