[Samba] samba + windows xp + roaming profiles

Alex Grönholm demigod at karico.fi
Tue Aug 3 20:35:34 GMT 2004

Xavier Callejas wrote:

> nop, it din't work out.
> anyway thankyou very much, do you have an other idea?? :)
>
> El Mar 03 Ago 2004 13:38, Alex Grönholm escribió:
>
>>Xavier Callejas wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, I'm having a problem with the roaming profiles and windows xp.
>>>
>>>The problem is that when a new user creates automatically a roaming
>>>profile and when he logs out the profile stay in the home dir. when he
>>>'relogin' the 'desktop.ini' files stop working beacuse they are not
>>>'hidden' anymore, and all the folders loss its propertis.
>>>
>>>Why is that?? what is the solution????
>>
>>You can only store so much information in the UNIX permissions. My
>>solution was to activate extended attribute support and disable the old
>>style attribute mapping:
>>
>>	ea support = yes
>>	map archived = no
>>	map hidden = no
>>         map system = no
>>	store dos attributes = yes
>>
>>This way the system stores the DOS attributes in the extended
>>attributes. You need to have a filesystem that supports extended
>>attributes (e.g. ext3 & xfs) for this to work.

Depending on your distribution, you may have to recompile the kernel
with extended attribute support turned on, and mount the filesystem with
the extended attribute support option enabled. This is the only proper
way to get this to work. It seemed to work out of the box with Fedora
Core 2.

Keep in mind that once the desktop.ini files have been created, any
tweaking you do to samba will not give them the proper attributes.
I recommend that you go to your profile dir (on Windows) and:

	attrib +h +s desktop.ini /s

This will restore the proper attributes to desktop.ini in all
subdirectories. If the desktop.ini still shows up, you may want start
with a fresh profile if that is an option for you.

If, despite all your efforts you cannot get it to work, you can try
mapping the "hidden" attribute to UNIX execute permissions:

	map archived = no
	map hidden = yes
	map system = no

Doing so will most likely cause most of your files to become invisible
though :) But understand that you can only map _ONE_ attribute at a time
with the old system!