[Samba] Hosts Allow

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Aug 3 15:46:03 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 08:14, Kennedy, Robert K wrote:
> Samba Team,
> 		I would first like to thank you all for volunteering your
> time.
>
> 	I am currently running Samba version 2.2.8a on a SUN server using
> Solaris 2.9. I have read all the man pages, checked all the old archived
> postings, and check three books on Samba but still can't find the answer. My
> question is with the "hosts allow" line on the smb.conf file. I have several
> ranges that I would like to allow. For example I would like to a allow the
> IP range of 155.72.192.1 to 155.72.223.252. and block or deny everything
> else outside this range. Is there a IP format, wild card or file that I can
> use so the hosts allow line looks manageable. I would hate to type several
> different ranges into it because it would get messy. Any suggestions would
> be greatly appreciated.

---
given that what you are asking is a question about restrictions on a
range of public (untrusted) ip addresses, there is little sentiment to
encourage you to do this. This is the type of activity that is typically
blocked by firewall. Ignoring completely the likelihood of ip addresses
getting spoofed by hackers, the excessive traffic on your ip space, the
complete lack of security...

If you are worried about messy - and in answer to your question, I don't
know of an easier way than simply to do something like
hosts allow = \
  155.72.192. \
  155.72.193. \
  155.72.194. \