[Samba] Red cross on network drives

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Aug 2 15:40:10 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 07:59, Susan McConnell wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 06:14:01 -0700
> Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>
> > > We have a number of Windows 2000 Professional clients connected to
> > > shared drives hosted on a Linux server running Samba. Within Windows
> > > Explorer, each Samba drive is shown with a red cross on it, indicating
> > > (I believe) that the network drive is not connected. However, it can be
> > > accessed, read from and written to without problem.
> > ----
> > This happens for a number of reasons.
> > - server shares weren't available at time of login
> > - samba server was restarted after login
>
> Neither of the above is true in this case - rebooting the Windows machines
> made no difference, and the Samba server remained up throughout.
>
> > The reason that the red 'x' shows through the icon is that at some
> > period, these shares weren't available to the system. Perhaps it's as
> > simple as a browsing problem. You should look on the Windows systems
> > 'event viewer' to see if there are any clues.
>
> Nothing significant that I could see.
>
> Thank you for your ideas - any others welcome!
----
just out of curiosity, how is security = configured on the samba server?

Are the Win2K systems 'joined' to the domain?
Are you logging in with a domain account?
Is there a netlogon script that mounts these drives?
If you open "My Computer" and right click on these drives and
"disconnect" - and the mounts are recreated (either by login script per
above) or manually, does this solve the problem?

Craig