[Samba] printing = lprng working?

Gabor Kiss [Bitman] kissg at cdata.hu
Mon Aug 2 13:47:23 GMT 2004

> I updated samba today to 3.0.5. Printing stopped working. The log says:
>
> [2004/08/02 14:28:57, 0] printing/print_cups.c:cups_printer_fn(108)
>    Unable to connect to CUPS server localhost - Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt
>
> I'm using lprng not cups. Is samba ignoring printing = lprng?

I have similar messages if I run 'swat' but this does not interfere
with lprgn. I can print well. (Except that XP clients cannot see
the print queues. :-( )

Try to configure some test commands.
Here is my config:

[dummy]
        comment = file
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = /tmp/test lpr -r -P'%p' %s
        lpq command = /tmp/test lpq -P'%p'
        lprm command = /tmp/test lprm -P'%p' %j
        lppause command = /tmp/test lpc hold '%p' %j
        lpresume command = /tmp/test lpc release '%p' %j
        queuepause command = /tmp/test lpc stop '%p'
        queueresume command = /tmp/test lpc start '%p'
        printer name = lp

Where /tmp/test is a shell script:
#!/bin/sh

date >> /tmp/testlog
echo $* >> /tmp/testlog
ps u $PPID >> /tmp/testlog

PROG=$1
shift
$PROG "$@" 2>&1 | tee -a /tmp/testlog

And I have an "lp" entry in printcap:
lp|dummy
:cm=/tmp/lp file
:create_files
:filter=/usr/lib/ifhp/ifhp
:ifhp=model=default,status,sync,pagecount,waitend
:lp=/tmp/lp
:lprngtooloptions=FILTERTYPE="IFHP"
IFHP_OPTIONS="status,sync,pagecount,waitend"
 PRINTERDB_ENTRY="default"
:mc=0
:mx=0
:prefix_z=a4