[Samba] Samba vs NtBackup Round 3.0.5

Bruno Gimenes Pereti pereti at ump.edu.br
Mon Aug 2 12:22:54 GMT 2004

Hi Tom! Hi Jeremy! Hi list!

I don't know what exaclty caused the problem but when I upgraded to Samba
3.0.5rc1 my NTBackup started working again. I'll show what i'm using here
and maybe somebody can figure out why it helped to me and not to you.
I compiled Samba 3.0.5rc1 from source with this options:

#
./configure --with-smbmount --with-pam --with-ldapsam --with-ldap --with-quo
ta --with-utmp --with-acl-support

I'm not using ldap backend in this server yet.

my NTBackup is running in a windows2000 that is the DC of another domain,
and it didn't have any thrust relationship to my samba domain (Now it have
but it didn't change the backup behave). The share from my Samba server is
mounted with the net use command.

After I compiled, installed and restarted Samba 3.0.5rc1 the ntbackup
started working. I had locking problem with an application that uses a
paradox database stored in the server and veto files didn't solved it but
the backup is OK.

Don't know why it is working here and not for you. Maybe because of the
windows NT or because it's a precompiled package.
Does anybody have a idea?

Bruno Pereti.

> On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 02:28:31PM +1200, Tom Hibbert wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I experienced the same problem with 3.0.4 that Jeremy and Bruno were
discussing - NTBackup unable being to connect to shares and erroring out
with 'Access Denied'. I have today upgraded to 3.0.5 (using the Debian Woody
packages) and that didn't fix the problem. Was the fix in 3.0.5r1 only
applicable to 2000/2003 server? I am stuck in the dark ages of NT 4 here,
maybe that is a problem...