[Samba] Help me in creating a domain...

Derek Harkness dharknes at umd.umich.edu
Sun Aug 1 19:31:56 GMT 2004

> quantum home # adduser -g machines -s /bin/false -d /dev/null
> quantumwin
> quantum home # passwd -l quantumwin

When adding a machine account to the unix password file it needs to
have a $ at the end of the name.  Also the last time I checked the only
user who could join a machine to the domain in Samba 2 was root.  So
you'll need a root account in the smbpasswd file, the password in
smbpasswd does not have to match the unix root password.  It's probably
a good idea that they don't match.

> It should work... but I cannot join the domain (windows xp pro). At
> first, the network identification wizard asks me for username, password
> and domain. I use johndoe and the domain LINUX.DOMAIN --- nothing.
>
> It appears ``windows cannot find an account for your computer on the
> LINUX.DOMAIN domain''. Again, I insert the name of my windows computer
> (quantumwin) and the domain. A dialog says: ``A domain controller for
> the domain LINUX.DOMAIN could not be contacted.'' --- The error is
> about
> a missing SRV entry in the DNS for the ldap server, but at the moment,
> I'm just testing. Moreover... am I right in suspecting it's trying to
> connect to an AD server instead of a NT4 domain?

Yes XP is looking for an AD server.  You may want to enable wins
support on your PDC and point you windows clients to it.  This helps
with finding servers across subnets, it cuts down on broadcast traffic,
and can speed things up a bit.

> add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s
> /bin/false -M %u

It appears you're using the add user script to add machines accounts,
which means the %u at the end should really be a %m$ don't forget the
$.

Everything else looks okay.

Derek

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious