[Samba] access denied with samba share

chad work chad_work2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 17:26:49 GMT 2004

Hello Samba group,

Problem:

I cannot get samba share to grant access to my /shared
share.  I created it, gave the linux user permissions
and tested them, my Windows XP Pro sees the share, I
can map a drive to it, but I cannot change to it:
Access denied is the error I get.  I'm logged into
Windows XP as the same user ID and password as on the
Linux system.

I had a problem when accessing the share at first with
Windows prompting me for a userID and password, but I
did the smbpasswd command, and got that working.  Then
I could see the shares.

I can see the shares, I can map, for example, the J:
drive to "shared", but cannot switch to it by typing:
"J: enter".

Testparm has no errors.  Here are the results:

[root at brain /]# testparm
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[shared]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = Testgroup
        server string = Samba Server
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 500
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        dns proxy = No
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        hosts allow = 10.200.1.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[shared]
        path = /shared
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
[root at brain /]#

I'm using samba 3.0.5-2 on Fedora Core 2, and Windows
XP Pro sp1, all tcp/ip.

Thanks for any assistance.  I cannot understand what I
am doing wrong.  It is not obvious, this time, or the
last time- 1.5 years ago - when I ran into the same
problem: I cannot even create a simple share.  I have
9000 samba books, read everything I can think of, and
it is just not obvious to me, what I am doing wrong.
I always get 90% of the way to a simple share.

If you need more info to help me, just ask.
Thanks for your time.
-Chad