[Samba] Help me in creating a domain...

Sensei senseiwa at tin.it
Sun Aug 1 17:18:28 GMT 2004

Hi.

I'm trying to build a nt domain with samba 3.0.5 (only samba, no native
nt/xp servers), but I cannot succeed. I'm following this
http://thegoldenear.org/toolbox/unices/samba/samba-setup.html because I
find the samba documentation not so clear. It's for samba 2, but it must
be similar to samba 3... This is what I did:

quantum home # groupadd -g 2000 admins
quantum home # groupadd -g 2010 machines
quantum home # mkdir samba
quantum home # mkdir samba/profiles
quantum home # mkdir samba/backup
quantum home # chmod 1757 samba/profiles
quantum home # mkdir -m 0775 netlogon
quantum home # chown root:admins netlogon/
quantum home # adduser johndoe
quantum home # smbpasswd -a johndoe
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user johndoe.
quantum home # mkdir /home/samba/profiles/johndoe
quantum home # chown johndoe:users /home/samba/profiles/johndoe/
quantum home # adduser -g machines -s /bin/false -d /dev/null quantumwin
quantum home # passwd -l quantumwin

Now I try with johndoe:

quantum netlogon # smbclient -L quantum-file --user johndoe
Password:
Domain=[LINUX.DOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.5]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (My Quantum Samba Server)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (My Quantum Samba Server)
        johndoe         Disk      Samba home directories
Domain=[LINUX.DOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.5]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        QUANTUM-FILE         My Quantum Samba Server

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        LINUX.DOMAIN         QUANTUM-FILE

It should work... but I cannot join the domain (windows xp pro). At
first, the network identification wizard asks me for username, password
and domain. I use johndoe and the domain LINUX.DOMAIN --- nothing.

It appears ``windows cannot find an account for your computer on the
LINUX.DOMAIN domain''. Again, I insert the name of my windows computer
(quantumwin) and the domain. A dialog says: ``A domain controller for
the domain LINUX.DOMAIN could not be contacted.'' --- The error is about
a missing SRV entry in the DNS for the ldap server, but at the moment,
I'm just testing. Moreover... am I right in suspecting it's trying to
connect to an AD server instead of a NT4 domain?

This is my smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = LINUX.DOMAIN
netbios name = quantum-file
server string = My Quantum Samba Server
time server = yes
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
domain logons = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
os level = 64
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
domain master = yes
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s
                  /bin/false -M %u
logon drive = Z:
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
logon script = netlogon.bat