[Samba] page count logging samba/cups

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Apr 30 19:24:13 GMT 2004

> Kuba Leszewski k.leszewski at ce3.pl
> Wed Apr 28 14:57:18 GMT 2004
>

> Hi,
>
> I know this subject appeared a few times on this list, but I've tried
> some of solutiuons presented there, and nothing works.
>
> I have a CUPS server and HP LaserJet 2200 printer.

Which OS are you using? Which Samba version? Which CUPS version?

> I downloaded postscript driver for this printer from cups.org, installed
> it in CUPS and then installed it using cupsaddsmb in Samba.
> This driver now installs automatically on my Windows clients.
>
> Problem is that I need to log number of pages everyone prints.
> So far I can log correct numbers for users that have Linux, and use CUPS
> directly (without Samba).
> But when I use a printer shared through Samba, then every print job
> appears as single page.
>
> I  read this:
> http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux/2002-Jan/2508.html
> and this:
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2002-November/056520.html
>
> I understand that the print job must pass through the 'pstops' filter,
> in order to get logged properly.

Have you checked how your job is processed by CUPS?
*Does* the job pass the pstops filter or not? Which actual
filtering chain is used?

(set "LogLevel debug" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, restart cupsd, grep
in "/var/log/cups/error_log" for all lines containing "filter"....)

> But all the solutions I found, don't work.

At least you've proofed that you searched the archives, and
that you found the relevant pieces of info on your own...    ;-)
(Too few do that.)

> --
> Regards
> Kuba