[Samba] The Ultimate Migration

Gerald Drouillard GerryList at Drouillard.ca
Wed Apr 28 23:10:17 GMT 2004

Kevin Kallsen wrote:

> Dear Fellow Samba Users:
>

> I have mandrake 9.1 with Samba 2.2.8 running a domain with 500 users.  It
> has worked flawlessly for a long time.  However, it is time to set up a new
> server.  I have a new server with Mandrake 10 OE and Samba 3.0.2 running.
> Please explain to this newbie and very satisfied samba user how to migrate
> all my users, groups, sid, domain, etc to the new machine.  My goal is to
> rsync the correct folders and then power down the old server and have the
> domain clients recognize the new server.
>

> Thanks in advance for your detailed reply.
>

> Kevin

The current MDK 10 version of samba 3.x works great except for a major
problem with the printing from windows clients.  The problem is that
printers will just stop working in samba, and trying to reconnect does
not work.  If you simply add another printer in cups with a slightly
different name, you will be able to print again... well for how long is
another question, until you have to switch back to the original names.
My advice is to stick with samba 2.x until we see how well the next RC
version of samba works.  The 2.6 kernel rocks!

Regards
Gerald Drouillard
http://convert2samba.com