[Samba] Workaround found, .Xauthority and SMB, Mounting home directory

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Wed Apr 28 06:11:34 GMT 2004

Hi,

AFAIK SMBFS etc. don't support locking, sockets, fifo, ... (oftenly also
symlinks).

My guess regsarding the xhost thing is still, that the .Xauthority file
has trouble. To find out you could attach an strace -ff to the running
display manager and look which files it and the subproceccesses try to
use. Look especially for the usage of xauth.

Regards,
Schlomo

PS: I don't have so many users, but managing even many shouldn't be so
much of a problem. If need to, put it on a separate fileserver and use
automount to mount it.

--
Regards,
Schlomo