[Samba] Samba-3 HOWTO and ref. guide - need clarification please - printing chapter

Marcus White 1midniterider at comcast.net
Wed Apr 28 01:24:37 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 19:38, peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au wrote:

> Could someone who is familiar with the book "Samba-3 HOWTO and reference
> guide
> and who is also familiar with printer setup please give me some advice...
>
> I am summarising the procedure for setting up a printer for automatic
> driver download
> which is described in chapter 17.
>
> There are a couple of processes mentioned that look very similar and I am
> wondering
> if both steps are required for correct setup.
>
> Chapter 17.7.2 Setting Device Modes on New Printers  (page 237)  is about
> setting Device mode on printer
>
> Browse to  samba's Printers and Faxes folder
> Properties
> Connect
>
> "7. Go to the Advanced tab; click on Printing Defaults
> 8. Change the Portrait page setting to Landscape (and back)
> 9. Make sure to apply changes between swapping the page orientation to
> cause the change
> to actually take effect.
> 10.While you are at it, you may also want to set the desired printing
> defaults here, which
> then apply to all future client driver installations on the remaining from
> now on."
>

> Chapter 17.7.4 Always Make First Client Connection as root or "printer
> admin" (page 238)
> also mentions setting a device mode by changing the orientation
>  and setting default printer options  but I think this step is talking
> about doing this in the
> local Printers & Faxes folder, not the samba Printers & Faxes folder (I'm
> not sure)
>
> "Now all the other users downloading and installing the driver the same way
> (called "Point'n Print")
> will have the same defaults set for them.  If you miss this step you'll get
> a lot of Help Desk calls from your users,
> but maybe you like to talk to people."
>
> Could somebody please tell me if both these steps are necessary to set
> device mode and to set default  print settings?
> Or are these the same step only repeated in a different way?
> If both required, could you tell me, is the second step (chapter 17.7.4)
> referring to doing this in the local printers folder??
>
> thanks.
> sorry if this seems obvious to most folks.
>
> -peter.

> Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
> the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
> Queensland Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or
> endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
> If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
> please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
> from your computer.

First, will you be using CUPS printing support on the linux server?
Using the APW (W2K and up), as described in 17.6.1, works very well for
installing and configuring the printer drivers. Once this is performed
skip to 17.7.1. I did perform 17.7.2 and 17.7.4. This last step is
ensure that your setup is working before you give it to your users to
try. Make sure that you read Chapter 18, if you using CUPS printing
support.

HTH,

Marcus O.