[Samba] Workaround found, .Xauthority and SMB, Mounting home directory

Schlomo Schapiro samba at schlomo.schapiro.org
Tue Apr 27 11:09:47 GMT 2004

Hi,

just an idea:

the display manager (GDM, ...) usually stores the XAUTHORITY cookie in the
.Xauthority file in the users' home dir. If you mount that on-the-fly,
maybe you mount it too late ? So that .Xauthority in the user home dir is
not accessible at this stage ? With the xhost +localhost you effectively
circumvent X security.

I had a similar case here (though with Novell servers) and solved it and
the KDE / GNOME problem you describe by keeping the homedir local and
mounting the server homedir in a subdirectory of the homedir. This way the
Linux stuff stays on the Linux side and the personal files and data stays
on the server side.

Regards,
Schlomo

PS: BTW. If you use XDM as display manager, you can debug better because
it is much simpler than any other display manager.
PPS: Tell please, if this helps.

--
Regards,
Schlomo