[Samba] Workaround found, .Xauthority and SMB, Mounting home directory

Ben Ford - Bio-Logic Aqua Technologies ben at naturestears.com
Mon Apr 26 21:54:05 GMT 2004

Hi,

Finally got this working!!

I have found a potential Workaround to the following error:

>/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp
>and
> utmp
> /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a
>-w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -1
>":0"
>"test"
>Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>Xlib: No protocol specified

Some prerequisites:
I'm running Fedora Core 1 ( stock install ) with pam_mount mounting my home
directory on the PDC.
I'm reluctantly using GDM ( not my favorite but it will do )
Last, I'm using KDE, but GNOME works too.

First, I followed suggestions from previous posts, and did a little tweaking
on my own, which include the following:

a) I've added the following to the user's .bash_profile:
export XAUTHORITY=/tmp/.Xauthority
export ICEAUTHORITY=/tmp/.ICEauthority

b) NOTE: gnome doesn't require this step.
I did some editing of my /usr/bin/startkde script to move all .kde and .kderc
etc... files OUT of the home directory.  From what I can tell, limits in the
SMBFS are not allowing kde to start successfully. (sockets??)
 This is a heavy workaround, but works nicely in our environment.
If you would like details on this fix let me know.

**Despite these changes, the above mentioned error was still appearing.**

**Here is what I've done:**

1) add the following to the file: /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default

XHOST=`which xhost 2>/dev/null`
if [ "x$XHOST" != "x" ] ; then
        echo "Executing xhost +localhost.."
        exec "$XHOST" +localhost
fi

I think it's important to add this before the following line:
SESSREG=`which sessreg 2>/dev/null`

Essentially, I'm executing the following command: "xhost +localhost".
I used their conventions for running a command, hence the if statement etc...

2) I'm pretty sure you need to restart GDM.

3) now go ahead and log in. It will work perfectly!!!

I don't know enough about X to give you a complete explanation for the fix,
but using xhost in this fashion allows any user on the host "localhost" to
connect to the X server.  Without it, the connection is refused, hence the
error you were getting.

I would gladly accept any feedback or comments on this fix.
I'm also very curious if anybody else tried running a GUI with their home
directory mounted via SMBFS or NFS?

I've attempted both and found SMBFS to be a adequate.  This issue was the last
to get over.  Now I must go through and refine different aspects
--
Ben Ford
Bio-Logic Aqua Technologies

800-FOR-MIST (367-6478)