[Samba] 3.0 PDC Cannot find root user

Burhan Khalid samba at meidomus.com
Mon Apr 26 06:37:00 GMT 2004

Matthew J. DiBattista wrote:

> What is the error message you are getting?

Account does not exist

> Why do you want root access thru samba?

I do *not* want root access through samba. I want to have samba create
machines accounts automatically for new clients that are joining the domain.

According to all documentation that I have read (regardless of samba
version), there needs to be a "root" account in samba, which is the
equivalent of the Domain Administrator in Windows.  This is the only
account that is authorized to add new machines to the domain.

I created this account using smbpasswd -a root, and gave it a password.

For what its worth, if the machine account has been manually created in
Samba, then the initial logon with root works.  It just won't work if
the machine account does not exist.  If the machine account does not
exist, it will give "There was an error joining the domain mydomain, the
specified account could not be found".  However, if I ssh into the
server and create the machine account manually, then the same login
(root, with the smbpasswd password) works to add the machine.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

> Why not just include yourself in the root and wheel group.

My regular user account on the linux server is in wheel group.

[trimmed rest]