[Samba] Windows password longer than 8 char

Wallace, Tony Tony.Wallace at acs-inc.com
Sat Apr 24 06:22:50 GMT 2004

Hello,,

Our Samba servers use SERVER security, and authenticate against the same
MS-Windows logon server (PDC) that serves all our Windows 2K desktops.  Any
of us with a Windows network password less than or equal to 8 characters
long can mount the Samba shares seamlessly, just like any Windows file
server.  However, if you set your Windows password longer than 8 characters,
Samba authentication always fails.  In general, we know that both Windows
and Samba can use longer passwords-  the problem occurs when the Windows
desktop client tries to initiate a connection to the Samba server.
Passwords longer than 8 just don't get transferred correctly from client to
server, or so it seems.

Up to now we just made it an informal policy to keep our Windows passwords
no longer than 8 characters.  However, the IT group (which controls the
Windows PDC) says they will soon enforce a new policy requiring passwords to
be longer.

Is there anything I can do to our Samba servers to make longer Windows
passwords work?  Thanks-

	Tony

Samba server details below-

Solaris 8/ SPARC

/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -V
Version 2.2.8a
(from sunfreeware.com)

[global]
        workgroup = ECOMMERCE
        netbios name = PHANTOM2
        security = SERVER
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = ben_or_pdc
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        username map = /usr/local/samba/private/users.map
        log level = 2
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/logs/log:%m:%I
        max log size = 100
        debug pid = Yes
        debug uid = Yes
        load printers = No
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 206.67.210.5
        hosts allow = 127.0.0.1,206.67.210.,192.168.53.,10.222.7.,10.222.8.
        case sensitive = Yes
        map archive = No