[Samba] Samba3, LDAP and FreeBSD 4.8 : need for NSS ?

Persing, Kenneth Kenneth.Persing at gs.com
Sat Apr 24 00:07:54 GMT 2004

Hi,
   I found your posting below... I am in a very similar situation and just
want to understand what this means a little better.  I have compiled
openldap and samba on a netbsd box...  Not sure if your aware, but nsswitch
on netbsd is not modular, and ldap is not an option for the name service
backend. (freebsd and linux are not options since its not an x86 box I'm
using) Anyway, my ldap database is populated with sambasamaccount object
classes AND posixAccount object classes (other machines will be using the
ldap server on this box for their name service). You indicated below that I
need to add unix accounts (I am assuming for local name service purposes).
Here are my questions:
	1. Does this mean that the entries in /etc/passwd need to have
passwords?? (i.e., do they have to authenticate properly, or can I just
manually enter in ##### in the password field in /etc/passwd to keep people
from logging in as these accounts)
	2. If so, must the passwords match those in the ldap database?
	3. which accounts must be in /etc/passwd (i.e., I am assuming all
samba users as well as machine accounts, is this accurate?)
	4. Any more advise that you can give me, I'd greatly appreciate.

Cheers,

Ken

Antoine Jacoutot ajacoutot at lphp.org
<mailto:samba%40lists.samba.org?Subject=%5BSamba%5D%20Samba3%2C%20LDAP%20and
%20FreeBSD%204.8%20%3A%20need%20for%20NSS%20%3F&In-Reply-To=FA7959A48B754E45
9E6BFD88B01F46BEAE0DAA%40fr-par-mb01.fra.group.cmg.com>
Tue Sep 16 20:59:51 GMT 2003