[Samba] Help! - need to Start multiple samba smbd/nmbd daemons

Dignard, Norman dignarn at navcanada.ca
Fri Apr 23 18:53:21 GMT 2004

We're trying to dual home samba onto 2 windows domains.  We're created 2 separate smb.conf files each having it's own domain specific info. The only differences between them are
- different workgroups
- different interfaces to bind too
- different socket addressees (matches the interface)
- and different WINS server IPs.

We are using the security = domain model.

We've successfully joined each domain by swapping in the applicable smb.conf file and then running the smbpasswd command to join the domain .. both came back successful.

Now we're trying to start the smbd and nmbd daemons by using the -s switch to bind each daemon to a specific interface by pointing to the applicable smb.conf file
(ie. /opt/samba/bin/nmbd -D -s /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf.engdev)  however it looks like we can only start one smbd or nmbd daemon at a time as only one .pid lock file is allowed.
Ref smbd log file output:
[2004/04/23 12:35:57, 0] smbd/server.c:(793)
  smbd version 2.2.8a based HP CIFS Server A.01.10 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2002
[2004/04/23 12:35:57, 0] lib/pidfile.c:(85)
  ERROR: smbd is already running. File /var/opt/samba/locks/smbd.pid exists and process id 25569 is running.

Is there a way to start multiple smbd/nmbd daemons so that we can multi-home samba?

Any help appreciated
Regards
Norman Dignard

Nav Canada Technical Systems Center