[Samba] Printing, cups, w2k, Runtime error

Jarmo Hytönen jarmo.hytonen at dekati.fi
Thu Apr 22 16:59:16 GMT 2004

Hi!

I've been trying to find a solution to a printer problem. All I found is a
message posted to this list about a year ago, which describes about the same
problem (the message is in the end of this mail).

So, each time I try to print from windows 2000 or XP I get this error
message:
Microsoft Visuall C++ Runtime Llibrary
Program: C:...Winword.exe
Abnormal program termination

I have three network printers they all have the same problem. The printers
are: HPLJ4050, HPLJ4100, HPBIJ2280
I use the following process to setup the printers:

1. Install the printer to cups using KDE Control center
	- I've tried raw, postscript and PCL drivers, doesn't seem to make any
difference, should it?
2. Restarting samba
3. In windows I go to \\server\printers => propeties for the printer
4. Install the windows PCL (5 or 6) driver using APW
5. Connect to printer

All this goes just fine, but after this, if I try to see the properties or
to print I get error message.
I've recompiled samba and cups and googled my brains out, but haven't been
able find out the problem.

So, any help would be nice.

BACKGROUND INFO:

I'm using latest samba and latest cups.