[Samba] Incorrect function error with Win XP client

Gregory, Gavin Gavin.Gregory at airnz.co.nz
Wed Apr 21 02:47:10 GMT 2004

Hi all,

First posting so bear with me if I'm asking something previously answered -
can't find a easy way of searhcing the archives.

We've been using samba 2.2.8 on Solaris 8 for some time but only with NT &
2000 clients.  About to roll out XP but we're getting errors attempting to
access files and dirs on a successfully mapped share, i.e..

We can map a drive successfully using XP, and can even get a directory
listing as long as my cwd is not the shared drive.  Any command I try while
sitting in the root of the mapped drive fails with a simple "Incorrect
function" or "The current directory is invalid." error depending on whether
the command attempts to access files in the mapped drive or not.

I tried earlier versions of Samba and found that if I downgraded to 2.2.4 it
worked ok but 2.2.6 failed, as did 3.0.2.

All versions have been compiled with on the Solaris 8 system with gcc
2.95.3.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gavin

Example:

C:\WINNT>net use * \\aklxp061\resp_dnld /user:airnz-nz\xgregg
The password or user name is invalid for \\aklxp061\resp_dnld.

Enter the password for 'airnz-nz\xgregg' to connect to 'aklxp061':
Drive Y: is now connected to \\aklxp061\resp_dnld.

The command completed successfully.

C:\WINNT>dir y:
 Volume in drive Y is resp_dnld
 Volume Serial Number is 16C7-4204

 Directory of Y:\

13/11/2003  12:58 p.m.    <DIR>          .
19/04/2004  02:25 p.m.    <DIR>          ..
16/04/2004  12:19 p.m.    <DIR>          FlightBase
05/09/2003  07:30 a.m.    <DIR>          mop
04/04/2004  11:17 p.m.    <DIR>          archive
24/06/2003  02:41 p.m.    <DIR>          outbound
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               6 Dir(s)   3,583,246,336 bytes free

C:\WINNT>y:

Y:\>dir
Incorrect function.

Y:\>net use
The current directory is invalid.

Y:\>whoami
The current directory is invalid.

Y:\>c:

C:\WINNT>net use
New connections will not be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

---
OK           Y:        \\aklxp061\resp_dnld      Microsoft Windows Network
OK           Z:        \\aklss902\var            Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

C:\WINNT>

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.