[Samba] How to re-introduce a Samba server into a Win/NT domain?

Robert H Shaffo rhshaffo at raytheon.com
Tue Apr 20 23:53:49 GMT 2004

Hello.
    I'm hoping that you will provide some help with a Samba problem that
I'm
experiencing.
    We have an Alphaserver that has been functioning as the Samba-server
in a  Windows/NT Domain for about 5 years now.  It was set up by an
engineer
here at Raytheon Missile Systems Company and he left the company about 2
years ago.  I've inherited the administration of it.
     Last week the Alphaserver's unix (TRU-64 V 4.0F)  boot-drive crashed
and
a replacement disk was built from a (5 day old) backup tape.  Samba did not
work after that and I'm quite sure - from the error-messages - that it's
because
the Alphaserver's NT-machine-account's password is out-of-sync with what
the PC/winNT side remembers it to be "last set to".
    I can not get Samba to run as it had been running all of these years -
i.e.:
with "security = domain" and "password server = * " specified in the
smb.conf
file.
    I can get Samba up and running with "security = server" and "password
server
= PDC,BDC,Alphaserver".  But the Samba-functionality ceases after a while,
even
though the Samba-daemons are still running.
    How can I remove the Alphaserver from the NT Domain and thereby delete
its
machine-account, so that I can then add it back into the Domain with a new
machine
account-name and associated machine-account-password?  (I'd like to also go
back to using "security = domain" in the smb.conf file.)
     I have read the html help files but nothing there referrences taking
an existing
Samba-server out of a Windows Domain and then adding it back in again in
order
to re-set the machine-accountname and its password.
     Any help light that you could shed on this issue would be greatly
appreciated.
                        Sincerely,
                        Bob Shaffo