[Samba] Sambe max file size on RH9

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Tue Apr 20 21:22:34 GMT 2004

Glen Starrett wrote:

> Paul Gienger wrote:
>

>> Glen Starrett wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting a "max file size exceeded" when copying from knoppix
>>> 3.3. to RH9 over a samba share when the file gets to be >2G in
>>> size.    This is samba 3.0.2a on server, 3.0.2-Debian on client.
>>

>> Are you using smbmount on one side (i.e. mount -t smbfs..... )?
>> The  smbmount program was supposedly using an old  samba codebase
>> that didn't yet go over 2GB.  I've had this problem writing to a
>> Win2k box from a RedHat 9 box running 2.2.8a before.
>>
>> If not using a mount point, by what method were you copying?
>>
> Yes, I'm using smbmount (via mount -t smbfs... as you indicated).  I'm
> not sure how else I would connect, "net use" isn't supported yet
> apparently.  Is there another app I should be using to connect?

You could try to use the smbclient and operate that ftp like syntax,
although if you're doing something like I was, which was creating a tar
file on the mount, that doesn't help you much.  Of course you could
always go the route of using nfs since you're going between two nix
boxes here.

I believe I read that the error is actually in the kernel.org source
tree, and not necessarily in any distributions particular tree.  Could
anyone confirm that statement with more authority?