[Samba] WINS question..last question

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Tue Apr 20 19:54:58 GMT 2004

Hello everyone.

Last question. :)

Been reading my samba 3 book here for the past bit an was hoping to clarify
a few things on my setup.

Basically, in order to get my samba 3 server up, running and acting as a
WINS server was pretty straightforward. The other half is getting the setup
correct, as far as a local master browser, preferred master etc.

As I was reading the book and continuing to test, I noticed a few things
that caught my attention. I'll post some log snips and proceed from there.

[2004/04/20 08:57:22, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(225)
   become_domain_master_query_success:
   There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.1.20 for
workgroup COURTESY registered on subnet 192.168.1.50.

This is the first one. I realized that the NT box we have on our network is
the 192.168.1.20 box. The 192.168.1.50 IP address belongs to the IP address
of the samba 3 box I just setup. Now, currently we are in a workgroup, not
a domain. So the NT box is the domain master browser. Should it stay that
way for now? Like I said before, it is going to be replaced within the next
month with a samba PDC box.

I can see that the samba box is working correctly, as far as a WINS server.
But I want to ensure that it will work correctly when we test VPN
connections to our corporate network and are able to browse the network
using my network places.

In order to do so, I have set the following in my smb.conf:

wins support = yes
os level = 255

However, should I set the following options as well?

preferred master = yes
local master = yes

Not sure about domain master.

Last long entry:

[2004/04/20 12:47:12, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_node_status_request(328)
   process_node_status_request: status request for name COURTESY<1b> from
IP 192.168.1.50 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET - name not f
ound.
[2004/04/20 12:47:17, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:domain_master_node_status_fail(247)
   domain_master_node_status_fail:
   Doing a node status request to the domain master browser
   for workgroup COURTESY at IP 192.168.1.50 failed.
   Cannot sync browser lists.

I'm guessing, because it is not set as the domain master, it is failing?
Still working on this one.

I see the jist of what is going on, it's just a matter now of fully
understanding how to get everything to work and gel correctly.

I appreciate the help.

Jason