[Samba] Windows Client-side Caching Issue

RRuegner robert at ruegner.org
Tue Apr 20 17:12:59 GMT 2004

Wys Richard-ERW009 schrieb:

> Has anyone seen the following issue?
>
> Users were reporting that their local disk drive was being filled up by the Offline Cache store. This is a hidden directory called "CSC". The (local site) desktop support agents determined that the local offline cache folder was growing even if no changes were made to the server-based files by a fixed amount. The fixed amount varied by user. When each user synchronizes without any changes being made to the server-based files the local free space would decrease by the fixed amount. We could not isolate which files are causing the problem because the CSC folder does map directly to the server-based files names. It is somewhat "cryptic".
>
> User Environment: 	Windows XP SP1 and Windows 2000 SP3
> 		       	Home Directories are stored on a (HPUX) server running CIFS Server 2.2.8a
>
> Does Samba 3.x fix this problem?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

there is a parameter which might help

csc policy (S)
This stands for client-side caching policy, and specifies how clients
capable of offline caching will cache the files in the share. The valid
values are: manual, documents, programs, disable.

These values correspond to those used on Windows servers.

For example, shares containing roaming profiles can have offline caching
disabled using csc policy = disable.

Default: csc policy = manual

Example: csc policy = programs