[Samba] Machine trust account confusion

JB jbarton at technicalworks.net
Tue Apr 20 16:14:28 GMT 2004

I have looked for an answer to this in many locations, but I am still
confused about the use of machine trust accounts. It was my
understanding, backed by a samba book, that in order for someone in a
domain to access a resource, they must have a valid account on the
domain AND be using a machine that has a trust account setup on the
samba PDC. However, my experience and another samba book say that they
only need a valid user account to use the resources.

The result is that I have a samba PDC setup with a single workstation
that authenticates users off the PDC and everyone has proper access.
However, I can place a laptop on the network with no trust account, and
using since I log onto it with the same username and password, I can
browse the domain resources as if I had authenticated off of the PDC.

I am hoping someone can explain this to me, I want to deploy a samba PDC
in a larger environment, but I do not want a user to be able to see
private resources just by knowing someone's username and pass, I want
them to have to come from a trusted machine also.

Here is my smb.conf

[global]
netbios name = HERAKLES
workgroup = STS
server string = Samba Server %v

security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

local master = yes
os level = 65
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes