[Samba] LDAP Q: What for use Containers

Schlomo Schapiro samba at schlomo.schapiro.org
Tue Apr 20 10:24:14 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am planning a Samba3+LDAP installation and was wondering about the use
of putting users into different containers on the LDAP server (similar to
what people do on NDS/eDirectory).

Is it possible to then assign rights, options, ... to the containers and
have the users inherit these rights ?

I observed that e.g. SuSE Enterprise server and other SuSE products put
all users in the same context, thereby using the LDAP only as a better
flat-file storage.

Having worked a lot in a Novell environment I of course got used to the
convenience of assigning rights to containers.

Is there currently any support for this in Samba ?

Is there something planned to facilitate this feature ? I guess it will
also have to go with the host file system ...

Any input appreciated,

Schlomo

--
Regards,