[Samba] directory permissions & smb.conf

marcusv marcusv at siemagblanes.co.za
Tue Apr 20 07:56:01 GMT 2004

Hi there guys.

I'm new to the list.
I have googled and yahooed, and been to several other mailing list to
see if I can find help there.
But with no luck.

I'm trying to setup a share for several departments for our company.
So when I installed RedHat 9.0 I created a 30Gb partition.

Please bare with me as I explain what I would like to do.
I have a directory
drwxrwx----    5 root    siemagelec    4096 Apr 15 13:46 share
within this directory.
drwsrwx---    3 root    siemagelec    4096 Apr 19 15:43 share
within this directory.
drwxrwx----    5 root    siemagelec    4096 Apr 15 13:46 Electrical
drwxrwx----    5 root    Marketing    4096 Apr 15 13:46 Marketing
drwxrwx----    5 root    Capital    4096 Apr 15 13:46 Capital

So meaning that if you have access to the 2nd share directory and you
belong to siemagelec you will only be able to access [read/write to the
Electrical folder]
This works,But it does not work for any of the other folders E.G

Marketing
Capital

Unless I change the group for the /share directory. as well as the group
for the /share/share directory.

Now I'm not to sure what group these directories belong to.? and if I
should leave it as root.

Or is it possible to create another group, lets call it siemag, and in
stead of adding users to this group, add groups to it.

smb.conf file
[Electrical]
    writable = yes
    valid user = @siemagelec
    write list = @siemagelec
    path = /share/share/Electrical

[Marketing]
    writable = yes
    valid user = @marketing
    write list = @marketing
    path = /share/share/Marketing

[Capital]
    writable = yes
    valid user = @capital
    write list = @capital
    path = /share/share/Capital

PS* I belong to all three groups.
Any assistance/pointers would be appreciated.

Marcus Van Wyk