[Samba] Samba + FreeBSD...WINS server question

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Mon Apr 19 17:16:16 GMT 2004

Just a really quick question in regards to FreeBSD and samba. I need to
quickly put up a WINS server for our corporate network and I was going to
use Samba 2.2.8a to do the job.

Anyway, I installed samba through the ports tree and proceeded to edit the
smb.conf file.

Basically, I set the workgroup to the same for the company, gave a brief
description.
The only other thing I added was:

Wins supprt = Yes

That should do the trick right?

Now, if im correct, all clients on my network would have to point to the
WINS server in order to be able to view other computers and servers correct?

If that is correct, I did that but for some reason, I can still browse the
network using my network places (win2k here) without pointing to the WINS
server.

Is there something im missing?

THanks.

Jason