[Samba] Case-sensitivity problems with smbmount on linux

Michael Carmack karmak at karmak.org
Sun Apr 18 01:15:33 GMT 2004

Can anyone else confirm this problem so I know I'm not crazy? I've tried
many different configuration options, but cannot get this working.

In case my first post was too verbose, here's a quick way to see the
problem.

1. Have 3 machines: Samba server, XP client, Linux client.
2. Mount shares (smbmount on Linux, "map network drive" on XP)
3. Create a file called "test" on the server.
4. Using the Linux cilent, do "mv test Test" (this fails).
5. Using the XP shell, do "move test Test" (this works).

Bug? Feature? Misconfiguration? At this point I'd be happy with an
"RTFM" reply, but which "M"? I've searched google and the mailing lists
for hours, and cannot find a solution. Might not be typing in the right
keywords though...