[Samba] Re: WINS not updating after swapping network connections

Clint Sharp clint at typhoon.org
Sat Apr 17 00:57:03 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 06:22, Michael Keightley wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:06:34AM -0400, Chad Vincent wrote:
> Could we maybe get round using WINS by using Dynamic DNS so the Netbios name
> always matches the IP address?  Then change "name resolve order" so it used DNS
> before WINS.  We use Bind 9 and ISC DHCP v3 already so it is possible to setup.
> Or am I talking rubbish?
>

> Michaek
> --
> Michael Keightley <Michael.Keightley at quadstone.com>    Tel: +44 131 240 3137
> Systems Manager, Quadstone Limited,                    Fax: +44 131 220 4492
> 16 Chester Street, Edinburgh EH3 7RA, Scotland         http://www.quadstone.com

Yes and no.  Technically that will work, however, dynamic DNS does not
offer the same information as WINS does currently in a Samba
implementation.  Since Samba is not emulating an AD domain controller,
but an NT4 domain controller, the workstations are expecting certain
information to be returned about machines (the various flags after the
names you see in WINS) as far as their capabilities are concerned.  This
is offered in WINS (also in DNS, through the use of SRV records, but
Samba does not generate these currently and I don't know how the
workstations would interact, finding the entries it would expect an AD
controller to use in DNS and then finding an NT4 domain controller
there).  If you're all on the same subnet, this is not a problem because
it can find the same information through broadcast resolution, but who's
all on the same subnet these days? :)

The Samba3 HOWTO covers this very well under name resolution.

Clint