[Samba] Re: BROWSING SUCKS

Jeff Umbach jeff at hangar-eleventeen.com
Thu Apr 15 17:56:48 GMT 2004

WINS will certainly help, especially with the older Win98 machines.  For
Win2k and WinXP DNS works much better, especially if they have static IPs.
RedHat includes a copy of BIND DNS on the install media, it's not very
difficult to set up the zone files.

Are they actually joined to the domain?  If so then they shouldn't need to
browse and just be referencing the domain controller for the browse list.
Keep in mind that WinXP Home cannot join a domain though.

"Rashkae" <rashkae at tigershaunt.com> wrote in message
news:20040415152725.GC22938 at tigershaunt.com...
> You might want to consider enabling and configurins WINS for your
> network, rather than rely on the serendipity of broadcast browsing.
>
> On a more practical note, I've had similar problems when some of the
> Windows Clients installed Norton Internet Security... one computer
> with the Internet firewall would, for reasons unknown, interfere with
> windows network browsing for the whole network.
>
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 11:21:04AM -0400, Saad Ahmed wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> > I got this wired situation. I would appreciate if someone of you could
help.

> > NETWORK:
> > We have a windows based network of approx 25 computers (Win 98, Win
2000, in NT, Win XP (both Pro and Home). We have a Samba server running on
RH9 which acts as the domain controller and master browser for the entire
network (OS level = 70)

> > PROBLEM:
> > SOMETIMES, in the windows, when I open NETWORKING NEIGHBOURHOOD, I just
see one or two computers, MANTA1 (SAMBA Server) and some other computer.
When I restart the Samba Services apparently everything starts to work fine
again. I tried changing OS Level from 65 to 70 but still no success. Since a
few days, the problem seems to happen every 24 hours and I have to restart
the services everyday. Previously it used to occur every 7 days or so.