[Samba] Re: WINS not updating after swapping network connections

Chad Vincent chad at rhiannonweb.com
Thu Apr 15 13:06:34 GMT 2004

I had the exact same problem when I changed from dynamic IP to Static on
the server itself.  It added the new IP address AFTER the old one in
wins.dat, and only reported the first back to the clients.

Try shutting down Samba, deleting wins.dat (May be in either
/var/cache/samba/ or /var/lib/samba/ ) then starting Samba up again.  Your
WINS file will be rebuilt as the clients re-register their addresses.  How
to actually get it to change on the fly, however, is anybody's guess, as it
will re-write the file as-is if you delete / change it while SAMBA is running.

It was suggested that it may be a corrupted file, so just deleting it and
letting it be re-built may fix the problem, too.

Chad Vincent
Owner
RhiannonWEB
Phone: 330-283-4681