[Samba] Samba misconfig... (long)

Joe Cipale joec at aracnet.com
Thu Apr 15 01:19:38 GMT 2004

I am trying to get my samba setup running (after putting it on the back
burner for a few months with other issues).

I am running Samba 3.0.0 on a SuSE 7.2 install. I have a linux box
(clyde) and a Win2K box (Badmonkey) connected via a firewall/network. My
smb.conf file is shown here:

-- # Sambxa config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/12/04 05:28:37

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = Penguinix
        netbios name = Clyde
        interfaces = eth0, lo
        hosts allow = 192.168.2
        security = User
        guest account = guest
        password server = clyde
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        bind interfaces only = yes
        debug level = 1
        max log size = 1000
        debug timestamp = no
        encrypt passwords = yes

[test]
        comment = Test share on %L
        volume = TEST
        path = /home/samba/test
        writeable = Yes

[%U]
        volume = %U
        path = %H
        hide dot files = Yes

When I execute testparm, everything checks out and gives the following:
Load smb config files from smb.conf
Processing section "[test]"
Processing section "[%U]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

I am NOW trying to set up my drive shares on my W2k machine. This is the
wife's primary machine, plus it has some other tools (Visio, Access,
etc) that I use from time to time. I want to be able to swap files as
needed between the two machines. The problem is, when I attenpt to
create map a network drive from the W2k machine using the 'Map Netowrk
Drive' utility and I add in the path under [test], I get an error that
the network path cannot be found. (\\clyde\home\samba\test).

Upon more invesitgation, I do a check to see if the smbd deamon is
running. It isn't. The nmbd deamon is running, butr if I do either a ps
-aux or a top and search for smbd, the deamon is not showing up. If,
however, I run the smbclient utility, I get the following data:

 smbclient -U% -L localhost

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        test           Disk      Test share on localhost
        guest          Disk
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.0)
        ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.0)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        BADMONKEY            Samba 3.0.0

        Workgroup            Master
        PENGUINIX

There are problems with this from what I can see:
1 - The SERVER is expected to be 'CLYDE', not 'BADMONKEY'
2 - There is no name for the Master.

Can any of you be patient and help me solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Joe Cipale