[Samba] NUA + MYSQL?

José Luis Tallón jltallon at adv-solutions.net
Wed Apr 14 14:55:42 GMT 2004

At 09:01 13/04/2004, you wrote:
>Here is an idea..
>
>why don't you map your users to the nobody or guest account ??
>(is this possible ??)
>so all users are guests...
>dunno how to do it, but would be a nice work around..

That wont' work.

However, there's a "pseudo-NUA" workaround: use MySQL-NSS to provide
UIDs/GIDs for your user accounts (and groups too!), set shell=/bin/false. I
am doing precisely the same with LDAP. No need for /etc/passwd or
/etc/shadow entries at all.. and you can share the information between
several machines (FileServers only -- you can't have multiple sincronized
DCs with MySQL -- use LDAP for that )

Hint: you do need a home directory, which you'll probably want different
for each user( something along the lines of /home/sambausers/myvirtualuser
would do ), and machines too ( /home/sambamachines or /tmp will do )

John Tersptra: you might be interested in adding this (maybe a bit more
elaborated) as a "recipe" in the SaMBa HOWTO Collection / your book.
I wouldn't mind providing a more complete explanation if you think it could
possibly be interesting.

Regards,
         J.L.