[Samba] Re: samba on distro...

Jason Balicki kodak at frontierhomemortgage.com
Wed Apr 14 14:43:26 GMT 2004

>Why should I want to buy a server-version if I can get a
>distro for free...

Vendor support.  You've got someone to call and ask if something's
not working.

Honestly, though, I can say with great confidence that I have NEVER
received a fix by calling a vendor support line for anything.  I've
always either figured it out myself or found good information online
while the support person walks me through a redundant checklist.

As a matter of fact, I always use the tech support lines only as
a last resort -- knowing full well that if I haven't found anything
yet, I'm pretty much doomed by the time I call.  (Aside: MS is,
really, the worst:  I upgraded some W2k boxes to WinXP and it
broke some stuff in the registry (security keys).  The MS fix?
Either pay them hourly to fix their malfunctioning software or
"Install from scratch".  What's the point of an upgrade if you
have to install from scratch?  Why should I have to pay for
their screwup?  Ok, I'm ranting now, I'll stop.)

However, I've never had to call for support from a Linux distro vendor.
I'd like to think it would be better than most, but my gut instinct is
that I'll have the same experience I've always had:  "Um, reformat?

I guess I'm saying go with a free distro.  :)

HTH,

--J(K)