[Samba] Remote Samba Servers Timming Out....

Shane Drinkwater Shane_Drinkwater at pa-ucl.com
Tue Apr 13 16:08:29 GMT 2004

Hello,
I am have a strange problem with remote samba servers and I am hopping some
one can give me a insite into what is happening. First is the Setup I have 2
remote sites connected to a central site by 2 T1 Lines. The two remote sites
each have a IBM X305 Running RedHat 9 and Samba 3.0.2a per/Site. Each box
per site has been configured to be the local master(cross Subnet
Browsing).All Sites use  a class C Subnet. So
Remote Site A --> 172.27.20.0/24 x305 RH9, Samba 3.0.2a
Remote Site B --> 172.27.10.0/24 x305 RH9, Samba 3.0.2a
Central Site --> 172.27.1.0/24 Has 1 Windows 2000 Server Box Running Wins(
172.27.1.17), 2 Domain Controllers win NT 4.0
( 1 Primary, 1 Backup) all servers are connected to the wins box for name
resolution.

Below is a example of the remote sites config.
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
#================== remote Annouce Settings
==================================
        remote announce = 172.27.1.7
        remote browse sync = 172.27.1.7
#=============== Local Master Settings===========================
        domain master = no
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        os level = 65
#===============================================================
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        load printers = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        wins server = 172.27.1.17
        encrypt passwords = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        dns proxy = no
        netbios name = athena
        server string = Samba Server
        printing = lprng
#       unix password sync = Yes
        workgroup = CSQ
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        security = domain
        max log size = 0
        pam password change = yes
        large readwrite = yes
        veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/
        write cache size = 128000

#======================Printer Stuff ====================================
        printer admin = @CSQ+"Programmers", at CSQ+"Domain Admins", at CSQ+"Domain
Users", at CSQ+"PA Doctors"
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
        queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p start
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
        lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p stop
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
        lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p start
#=======================Winbindd Stuff ==================================
        password server = *
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind separator = +
        template shell = /bin/bash
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        winbind cache time = 60
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes

After starting the servers everything seems to work for about 1 week. That
is Cross subnet Routing is working. I can double click on server and see
shares, printers, etc. But after that 1 week things stop working I can't
double click on the two remote servers. If I try to mount a resource from
the central site I get the following windows 2000 workstation error:

"System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found."
on a Windows 2000 Box.

I also took a samba box on my central site and used smbclient -L athena
smbclient -L athena
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[CSQ] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.2a]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        print$         Disk
        public         Disk
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        mercylab       Printer   Mercys main office printer
        mercypa        Printer   mercy pas laser printer
        cytolaser      Printer   cytos laser printer
        mercybloodban  Printer   Mercys BloodBank 1200LaserJet
        drslagelhp     Printer   dr slagels office hp
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[CSQ] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.2a]
        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        STEVESG40
        SWALLACE
        TEDMONDS
        TESTBACKUP           Samba Server
        TRAINING2151
        TRAINING2152
        TRAINING2154
        TRAININGROOM4
        TTIMMERMAN
        TVANGELDER
        UNITIME              Samba Server
        WEBINQ               WebInq Intranet Server
        WINDOWSXPTEST

        Workgroup            Master
        CSQ                  ATHENA

So I know that the Box is alive and well. Why can't it comminicate with
windows clients at a differant location ??