[Samba] Re: PRINTING CUPS on Samba 3.0 - PS Driver upload

Jeff Hardy hardyjm at potsdam.edu
Mon Apr 12 20:59:37 GMT 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:36:40 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 19:19, Herbert FRIEDL wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> samba 3.0.2pre1-1
>> cups 1.1.20
>>
>> i am testing the CUPS printing on Samba 3.0.2pre1-1  and so far we have
>> a good impression about the system
>> We want to use only Postscript for our printers.
>>
>> The cupsaddsmb tool works great and printing with the cups driver is
>> fine.
>> The Add Printer Wizard for uploading vendor specific for the PCL 5
>> drivers is working fine and printing is working.
>>
>> I have some trouble with the vendor specific Post script drivers.

Have you tried this method for the postscript printers?  Same result?

>> Uploading the Postscript drivers is OK but when we want to print
>> something on the  printers (hp2280, hp2300) the printer only prints the
>> prostscript definition text and produces tons of pages.
>
> The problem is, the HP (and most other) postscript drivers output a PCL
> header above their postscript.  CUPS doesn't think it's postscript then,
> and things go downhill from there.
>
> Only the CUPS and potentially the adobe drivers gets this right, but I
> have had other nasty problems with the CUPS drivers.

I second that.  I run Samba 2.2.8a and CUPS 1.1.19 and had nasty trouble
using the cupsaddsmb method with the CUPS or Adobe drivers.  I switched to
all raw queues and vendor drivers for both PCL and postscript and watched
all my problems go away. We use the Add Printer Wizard to add all of our
printers.  Might be worth a shot.